|WHO WE ARE
|The Presbyterian Church of
Pakistan was constituted in 1993. It has a long history
rooted in the establishment of the Lahore Church Council
of the United Church in Pakistan and the Synod of the
United Presbyterian Church of Pakistan. Presbyterian
Mission in the area was started in 1854 by the United
Presbyterian Church of North America. The first
Presbytery was formed in 1859 and the synod of Punjab in
1893, which was declared autonomous in 1961 with the
name of United Presbyterian Church of Pakistan.
Presbyterian Church of Pakistan belongs to a family of
Reformed Churches. The church is organized in sessions
(the basic unit which comprises a pastor and a few
elders), presbyteries (which consists of at least ten
sessions) and the general assembly, which is the highest
body and meets annually. General assembly is represented
by the 1/4delegates of all the presbyteries. The
Presbyteries have the central position in the whole
system of the Church. Presbyterian Church consists of 22
Presbyteries. The church consists of the people at
large, the total estimated number is more than 300,000.
It contains over 300 congregations and 260 pastors.
These numbers are rapidly increasing by the vision of
Church Planting by the Presbyterians.